Caroline Flack inquest to open on Wednesday after death at weekend | UK News

0
21


The inquest into the death of Caroline Flack is due to open on Wednesday morning in east London.

It will be held at Poplar Coroner’s Court, a representative from the court said.

The former Love Island presenter, 40, was found dead at her east London flat on Saturday having taken her own life, her family said.

LONDON, ENGLAND - OCTOBER 17: Caroline Flack attends the annual Global Gift Gala London at Kimpton Fitzroy Hotel on October 17, 2019 in London, England. (Photo by John Phillips/Getty Images)
Image:
Caroline Flack’s management criticised the CPS for pursuing an allegation of assault against her boyfriend

An inquest must be opened if there is reasonable cause to suspect a death was due to anything other than natural causes.

The opening of an inquest can often be over within minutes and will confirm the identification of the person who has died.

A coroner may also hear brief evidence of how and where the body was found, whether a post-mortem has taken place and the provisional medical cause of death, if it is known.

Friends of the TV star have hit out at social media and the tabloid press for the way she was treated before her death.

Her management has criticised prosecutors for pressing ahead with her “show trial” which was due to start next month.

Flack was charged with assaulting her boyfriend Lewis Burton, 27, last year, despite him saying he did not support the prosecution.

She entered a not guilty plea to the assault charge at Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court and was released on bail, with conditions that stopped her having any contact with Burton before the trial.



https://twitter.com/Portadownfc/status/1228962146182144006







Caroline Flack’s friend posts touching tribute

Francis Ridley, of Money Talent Management, said in a statement: “In recent months Caroline had been under huge pressure because of an ongoing case and potential trial which has been well reported.

“The Crown Prosecution Service pursued this when they knew not only how very vulnerable Caroline was but also that the alleged victim did not support the prosecution and had disputed the CPS version of events.

“The CPS should look at themselves today and how they pursued a show trial that was not only without merit but not in the public interest. And ultimately resulted in significant distress to Caroline.”

The CPS, without directly discussing Flack’s case, said it does not make the decision to prosecute someone over whether they are guilty or not but over whether they should face a court.

In a statement, it said it asks two questions when making the decision: “Does the evidence provide a realistic prospect of conviction?” and “Is it in the public interest to prosecute?”

It added that a complaint being withdrawn does not automatically stop the case and there are many other things to consider before doing so.

Former CPS prosecutor Nazir Afzal said domestic assault cases are often pursued despite the victim withdrawing.

He said these cases are known as evidence based and are pursued “in the public interest if a ‘victim’ does not or cannot support the case”.

:: Listen to the Daily podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker

Prosecutors go ahead with these cases in an attempt to avoid the more than 120 domestic homicides that were carried out last year, Mr Afzal said.

He added: “But only when they are allegations of serious violence and there is other strong evidence available such as 999 call recordings, police body worn camera, statements and interview.

“Sometimes you need to protect someone even when they can’t see it themselves.”





Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here